Translate

Thursday 9 April 2015

Maldives Throwback

I just found this blog post I wrote whilst in the Maldives but never published. I love how in discovering it, I was totally transported back to the moment in which I wrote it. Therefore, instead of just deleting it I thought I would post it as a retrospective diary entry. My goodness, I miss it there...


"Today was my day off. I had planned to go out and volunteer again on the manta research boat but due to a problem with the boat it had to be cancelled.

So I went to the staff beach in the morning instead and was super excited to discover that there were juvenile blacktip reef and lemon sharks swimming around in the shallows! Being a shark fanatic, I grabbed my camera and jumped straight into the water with them. I spent over an hour swimming with them which was an amazing experience and it was fascinating to see how scared they were of me which is ironic considering the unfortunate reputation sharks have.




In the afternoon I went on the turtle safari boat. We went to a reef just off another island, and jumped into the water with our snorkelling equipment. We saw 3 turtles, moray eels and a whole host of amazing fish and coral. I was free-diving with the turtles for most of the time which was a truly incredible experience."





No comments:

Post a Comment