Translate

Sunday 2 November 2014

"When are you going to get a proper job?"

"When are you going to get a proper job?" I hear this question a lot, my answer? I'm not. I don't want one. 
Firstly I don't see how you can dismiss being a scuba diving instructor as not a 'proper job'. Personally I feel that teaching people to dive and introducing them to the underwater world whilst helping them to see first hand the importance of the ocean and conserving it does constitute a 'proper job' and one well worth doing. But that's just my opinion. 
Secondly, the idea of sitting in an office in a city all day is, quite frankly, my idea of hell. Sure it suits a lot of people and I'm not saying there is anything wrong with choosing a career which demands that. However I have an inherent need to see the world and experience new places and not just as a tourist on a 2 week vacation, I mean seriously? What can you actually expect to experience staying in a hotel somewhere for 2 weeks. That's not the cultural immersion my heart craves. I digress, an office job would be wrong for me in so many ways and whilst I have to accept that people may not take my job seriously or understand why I yearn to travel that's just me. 

A conversation I had with a student stuck in my mind. After experiencing diving for the first time he said to me: "Wow, you have the most amazing job."
I replied, "Yeah I guess I do! I will never be rich but at least I love what it is that I do." 
"Then you are rich."  He made a good point. 

I am a strong believer that you should always do what makes you happy, if you're happy then you're successful. After all, you only live once. 



No comments:

Post a Comment