Translate

Wednesday 26 November 2014

What if money didn’t matter?

"Don't you want to be rich when you're older? Choose a career that earns well. Be a lawyer or a doctor, those are well paid jobs."
I've heard statements like these over and over again throughout my life; adults trying to influence and mould younger generations to grow up to aspire to only do what makes money and I've seen first hand my friends and classmates pursue these false ideals. 
Children are taught that money really matters and the   importance of it is emphasised through every medium. Be it price comparison adverts on TV, or the wealthy getting     preferential treatment, e live in a society where the value of having and making money is obscenely exaggerated. I am not dismissing that money is essential to life and that most people would choose to aspire to lead a financially comfortable life, however I think in the first world too much significance is placed upon money and material possessions and what is missing is the importance of happiness. 
All that matters to me is happiness. Money is immaterial and something we definitely take for granted in the 1st world. Life is short, I'd rather spend it doing what I loved and what made me happy than spending it purusing financial gains. I have always felt like this to a degree, but travelling drastically impacted not only my views on money but my entire perspective on life.
Listen to what Alan Watts has to say about the importance of money here

No comments:

Post a Comment