Translate

Tuesday 29 April 2014

Why fitness matters when scuba diving

For me, keeping in shape and having good physical fitness is imperative as a diver. I hear of too many sad stories where divers have had serious or fatal accidents which could have been avoided had they been in a better physical condition. 

Some of my surfer friends argue that scuba diving isn't very physically demanding, especially compared to something like surfing. Being both a diver and a surfer, I disagree. 

As a scuba diving instructor I am responsible for the lives of other divers as well as my own, and those of you who have ever been caught in a strong current with split fins on will know how quickly you can become exhausted, so being in shape is really important.

Every person must complete a dive medical prior to diving to ensure they don't have any pre-existing medical conditions that could cause a problem when diving, some of which can be linked to fitness. I have had to tow exhausted divers on several occasions, because their physical state wasn't adequate for the demands of the dive so it was just as well mine was.

So when people question why keeping fit is so important to me I suppose it is primarily because I want to be in the best shape I can be to do my job as well as I can and secondly to give myself and others the best chance of surviving should I be in a life-threatening situation.

Keep in shape divers, you never know when you might need those muscles. 






No comments:

Post a Comment